Are you looking for a new niche to drive more real estate business? Short-term rentals might be a fit for you! On today’s podcast, broker Jessica Larsen shares how to start managing short-term rentals and how to turn these properties into listings. In addition to giving tips on rental management, Jessica covers where to start if you’d like to buy a short-term rental for yourself.
Listen to today’s show and learn:
- The short-term rental niche [1:15]
- How Jessica got into short-term rentals [3:08]
- One of the biggest hurdles to overcome with short-term rentals [4:28]
- Jessica’s sales and short-term contracts last year [5:45]
- Achieving an 85-90% occupancy rate in the off season [8:23]
- Roadblocks to running a short-term-rental business [10:29]
- Finding clients to fit your niche [12:37]
- How to find out if your market will work for short-term rentals [14:38]
- Tips for staying organized in real estate [18:20]
- Reacting to real estate market conditions [22:41]
- Who the shifting market could impact in the short-term-rental space [24:31]
- Returns to shoot for with short-term rentals [25:34]
- Expenses to think about as a short-term-rental owner [27:10]
- Where to start with short-term rentals [29:13]
- How to value a short-term rental [30:18]
- What to do when you can’t get a booking [31:26]
- One piece of advice for real estate agents on short-term rentals [33:12]
- Advice for potential short-term-rental owners: start small [35:20]
To say Jessica is a high-energy leader is an understatement. Her dedication to her family, business and community are unparalleled.
She has been selling real estate on Cape Cod since 2012 and works tirelessly to represent her client’s best interest, guiding them each step of the way. Jessica is also President and co-owner of Cape Cod Cleaning Collaborative and Five Star Vacation Rentals. The company has a client list in the hundreds, and the business gives her exceptional insider-knowledge of housing and investment property inventories on the lower and outer Cape.
Jessica is also a dedicated contributor to her community, serving on several boards on Cape Cod. She was elected to the Town of Brewster School Committee in 2015, has served as chairwoman of the Cape Cod Collaborative, and has been a member of the Eddy School Council since 2014. The thread that connects all of her volunteer work is her commitment to the youth and families of our community. She is a passionate advocate for those who don’t always have a voice and need someone working for their future.
As a mother of three children, Callie, Maverick and Paxton, Jessica is well-aware of the needs of children and young people. She and her partner, Jeff, are devoted and involved parents. Jeff is a stay-at-home dad, and they are a great team working to navigate three youngsters through childhood. Their household also includes Jessica’s beloved mother, Kathy. It’s a very happy, busy multi-generational household, rounded out by her doggy co-pilot, Goose.
Related Links and Resources:
Thank You Rockstars!
It might go without saying, but I’m going to say it anyway: We really value listeners like you. We’re constantly working to improve the show, so why not leave us a review? If you love the content and can’t stand the thought of missing the nuggets our Rockstar guests share every week, please subscribe; it’ll get you instant access to our latest episodes and is the best way to support your favorite real estate podcast. Have questions? Suggestions? Want to say hi? Shoot me a message via Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or Email.