Since starting Renters Warehouse 10 years ago, Kevin Ortner has taken his property management company from zero doors under management to over 22,000. On today’s Real Estate Rockstars, Kevin shares how he did it so that listeners can learn what it takes to scale on a massive level. In addition to sharing his system for scaling, Kevin covers how his business model has evolved over the years to ensure profitability, the mistakes he’s made, and more. If you’re currently expanding your business or planning to in the future, you won’t want to miss this podcast!
Listen to today’s show and learn:
- Kevin’s brief bio [3:48]
- The Renters Warehouse business model [5:20]
- The percentage of real estate investors who only own one rental [6:04]
- How Renters Warehouse got started [8:11]
- Why bigger isn’t always better when it comes to business [10:37]
- The cost of scaling [13:09]
- Systems needed for scaling [14:33]
- The biggest mistake Kevin made while scaling his business [21:18]
- How to set client expectations [26:53]
- An easy way to train new hires via video [31:41]
- The size of Renters Warehouse today [33:39]
- Why businesses buy back franchises [37:57]
- Kevin’s donation to the Agent Success Toolbox [40:44]
- What Renters Warehouse charges clients [41:33]
- How to break through your goals.
- Plus so much more.
President and CEO of Renters Warehouse, Kevin Ortner first joined the company in 2009 when he opened the first Renters Warehouse franchise in Phoenix, AZ. His franchise has been consistently awarded with best-in-class business and culture awards, and reached a record 2000 properties under management for a single franchise in 2016.
In 2015, Kevin went on to take the reins of the entire company, helping see it through monumental growth nationwide and a majority share private equity investment. Kevin is a two-time honoree of the American Stevie Business Awards, Executive of the Year award (2015 and 2016) and received an International Stevie Business Award for his achievements as CEO. His leadership helped the company become a seven-time honoree of the prestigious Inc. 500|5000 list of fastest growing privately held companies in America.
Renters Warehouse now manages more than $3 billion in residential real estate, servicing over 14,000+ investors across 21,000+ residential homes over 42 markets and 25 states. In 2015, Renters Warehouse officially trademarked the term Rent Estate™ to redefine the entire Single Family Rental (SFR) industry as real estate gives way to this increasingly lucrative asset. Winning dozens of awards and securing many honors, Renters Warehouse is recognized as being both one of the fastest growing companies, as well as one renowned for being an exceptional employer.
Kevin is an Advisory Council Board Member for the Single-Family Rental Association (SFRA), an organization under the Five Star Institute that is committed to responding to business opportunity and industry betterment in the real estate landscape across the U.S.
In 2017, Kevin published his first book – Rent Estate™ Revolution. Throughout the book Kevin shares the Renters Warehouse philosophy and business expertise around single-family rentals and the power of Rent Estate to drive long-term wealth creation, retirement security and financial freedom for the everyday person.
Prior to Renters Warehouse, Kevin was a corporate airline pilot who invested in Rent Estate™ before it was a thing. It’s no surprise that his hobby turned into his life’s passion.
Related Links and Resources:
- Grow Your Real Estate Profits with Our Agent Success Toolbox
- Big Profit Agents – Join Today!
- Renters Warehouse | The Professional Landlords
- LinkedIn | Kevin Ortner
- LinkedIn | Renters Warehouse
- BoomTown | Real Estate Software for Agents and Brokers
- CINC | The #1 Real Estate Tech Solution Powering Elite Teams
- Loom | Free Screen and Video Recording Software
- Download Kevin’s Rent Estate Revolution in our Agent Success Toolbox
Thanks for Rocking Out
Thank you for tuning in to Pat Hiban Interviews Real Estate Rockstars, we appreciate you! To get more Rockstar content sent directly to your device as it becomes available, subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher! Reviews on iTunes are extremely helpful and appreciated! We read each and every one of them, please feel free to leave your email so that we can personally reach out and say thanks! Have any questions? Tweet me, Facebook me and ask Pat anything. Don’t forget to head on over to Bare Naked Agent for Pat’s answers, and advice. Thank you Rockstar Nation, and keep rockin!