Ryan Serhant of Million Dollar Listing New York is more than just a television personality; he’s also a best-selling author and the head of New York’s top-ranked real estate team. On today’s show, Ryan discusses the skills and sales techniques that have helped him achieve so much since starting his real estate career in 2008. In addition to sharing strategies for winning both listings and buyer clients, he offers invaluable advice to rookie agents. Plus, Pat and Ryan discuss the biggest mistakes they’ve seen in the industry so that listeners like you can avoid common pitfalls that waste agents’ time and money.
Listen to today’s show and learn:
- Ryan’s brief bio [2:53]
- Ryan’s GCI and profit [4:20]
- Ryan’s top sources for listings [5:33]
- The audition process for Million Dollar Listing New York [8:58]
- How Ryan’s team is organized and trained [10:01]
- What Ryan does on a typical workday [11:34]
- The problem with broker open houses [17:11]
- The biggest mistake agents make [18:11]
- How to set expectations with buyer clients [19:44]
- Ryan’s strategy for winning listings [21:14]
- Why quality service is so important in the real estate industry [22:16]
- Why Ryan isn’t a fan of most CRMs [26:00]
- How to win listings as an inexperienced agent [27:41]
- The struggles with expansion [32:11]
- Some of Ryan’s biggest real estate deals [33:05]
- How the media hurts real estate agents [34:26]
- Ryan’s advice to rookie agents [37:31]
- Ryan’s donation to the Agent Success Toolbox [41:21]
- How to break through your goals.
- Plus so much more.
On September 15, 2008, the subprime mortgage industry collapsed, Lehman Brothers filed for bankruptcy, and a 24-year-old Ryan Serhant began his first day in the real estate business.
While the real estate sector has slowly recovered, Serhant himself has become one of the most successful brokers in the world, with agents under his leadership in New York City, New Jersey, Los Angeles, Miami and the Hamptons.
Serhant is recognized as a real estate powerhouse. His team at Nest Seekers International sold over $830 million in real estate in 2017 and was ranked the #1 sales team in NYC and the #2 sales team Nationwide, by Wall Street Journal Real Trends for 2018. Currently The Serhant Team is ranked #1 for closed deals in Manhattan and ranked #5 for closed sales in Brooklyn, by The Real Deal Magazine.
As a real estate expert, he is a frequent contributor to 20/20, CNN, CNBC, The Today Show and Bloomberg TV, and is often quoted in The New York Times, Forbes, Wall Street Journal, and Wall Street Journal China.
Ryan is best known as the star of Bravo’s two-time Emmy-nominated “Million Dollar Listing New York.” Since Season 1 of Million Dollar Listing, Ryan and his team (The Serhant Team) have sold billions of dollars in real estate on national television.
Ryan also produced and starred in his spin off show “Sell It Like Serhant” which premiered on April 11th, 2018. In this new series, Ryan answers the call of struggling salespeople across multiple industries who are on the brink of losing their jobs and are desperate for his expertise. With some tough love and humor, Ryan will give under-performing employees a head-to-toe business overhaul and turn them into sales machines.
And if Ryan wasn’t busy enough with his real estate business and two shows on Bravo, Ryan has a successful vlog on Youtube. The vlog gives a funny, inspirational, and behind the scenes look into his entire day from 5 a.m. to midnight juggling work and personal life as the leader of the top sales team in New York. The vlog can be seen on Ryan’s YouTube channel.
Serhant is an active supporter of nonprofit organizations including DKMS, Operation Smile, Save the Children, Make A Wish, The Human Rights Campaign, Ronald McDonald House, Habitat for Humanity, Pink Agenda and UNICEF, among others.
After graduating Hamilton College in 2006 with twin degrees in English Literature and Theatre, Serhant headed to New York City to pursue an acting career before becoming a successful real estate broker. He currently lives in New York City with his wife Emilia.
Related Links and Resources:
- Grow Your Real Estate Profits with Our Agent Success Toolbox
- Sell It Like Serhant by Ryan Serhant
- Ryan Serhant | Wikipedia
- Ryan Serhant
- Ryan Serhant’s YouTube Channel
- Download The Serhant Team’s Buyer Guide from the Agent Success Toolbox
Thanks for Rocking Out
Thank you for tuning in to Pat Hiban Interviews Real Estate Rockstars, we appreciate you! To get more Rockstar content sent directly to your device as it becomes available, subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher! Reviews on iTunes are extremely helpful and appreciated! We read each and every one of them, please feel free to leave your email so that we can personally reach out and say thanks! Have any questions? Tweet me, Facebook me and ask Pat anything. Don’t forget to head on over to Bare Naked Agent for Pat’s answers, and advice. Thank you Rockstar Nation, and keep rockin!